2010
09.02

English 255 Intro Post

I’ve always been a fairly sporadic reader, and what I mean by that is that I’m inconsistent. I’ll often go through periods of my life where don’t crack a book for months, whereas other times I’ll be in the midst of reading up to 4 or so different texts. I can’t explain why I’ve taken this approach really, it just seems that often several different books will come to my attention all within a certain, brief timespan and I will then spend the following weeks or months devoting my attention to these chosen texts.

English, to me, has always come fairly naturally to me. As a high school student, I began to take further interest in the subject as I was exposed to more modern or contemporary texts, such as the works of J.D. Salinger and F. Scott Fitzgerald. For whatever reason, these works seem to resonate more with me than the older, mainly British works I had been taught. For me, there is a strange kind of ambivalence present in most modern American texts that feels familiar to me. Since becoming exposed to the previously mentioned authors I have enjoyed the works of Hemingway and Kerouac, as well as more contemporary writers like Kurt Vonnegut, Tom Robbins, and Junot Diaz.