2010
10.12

Hemingway

Hemingway’s style is unmistakable, not that this is any sort of revelation, but I believe that it is certainly what distinguishes from the other writers of his generation.  In my experiences thus far in The Sun Also Rises, Hemingway has exhibited a talent that enables him to convey his thoughts through short, directive sentences that follow each other fluidly and effectively grasp his reader’s attention.  There is nothing to be distracted with, no language to stumble through, no images left unclear, and somehow, one is able to comprehend the feelings and and thought-processes of many of the characters, though they are never explicitly stated in the text.  Hemingway is never over-bearing, in fact, much of his text is inviting, allowing his audience the choice to take his prose as it appears on the surface or perform a deeper analysis of the submerged.

1. I really liked the way you described Hemingway’s style. I hadn’t thought of his terseness as a way to be more genuine or trying not to “distract the reader”. It’s a really interesting idea. Great post !

2. I agree with you about Hemingway’s style of writing, but his short and direct sentences bother me. I must admit the short direct sentences keep me reading, but they also annoy me and I think they sometimes are to direct and it makes me wonder, why is it necessary for him to say certain things. Good post