2010
11.09

My Year of Meats is a novel that succeeds in encompassing several facets of modern global culture.  The text combines alluring descriptions of the American heartland combined with critiques regarding its consumptive nature,  graphic scenes of violence, troubling information regarding modern food production, a healthy dose of sex, the process of self-realization,  and a number of different perspectives seen through the actions of several characters to create a narrative that is truly unique and exciting.  Despite the importance of these varying themes, I feel that Ruth Ozeki’s novel offers substantial enlightenment regarding race and ethnicity and how they are addressed in the modern era.

The novel revolves mostly around the actions of Jane.  She is a unique character in the fact that she is one of the only characters in this novel who does not posses a singular heritage.   This “hybrid” identity that Jane possesses is one of Ozeki’s central focuses throughout her novel, suggesting that individuals like Jane are representative of what is to come.  This concept is illuminated in a passage in which Jane reflects on her ethnicity.  She states, “Being half, I am evidence that race, too, will become relic”.  Like a fossil, or a keepsake from years ago, Ozeki is suggesting that race will become something that no longer exists in the minds of people, or at the very least, will hold much less relevance in the development of identity.

**I foolishly have not allowed myself enough time to elaborate further at this time, I planned on going further with this idea.  I will this thought later on today.**